Thursday, September 29, 2011

An Introduction (Part 1 of 2)

Welcome to my blog spot!

My academic background includes a master degree in Business Management, a bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems, and associate degrees in both Data Processing and Accounting.  I have no formal training in education, so I thought pursuing the Post-Graduate Certificate of Teaching in Higher Education would help me in my career path, especially since I am currently teaching college students full-time.

For six years, I have been handling business- and IT-related courses at the Al Ain Women's College (AAWC) campus of the Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT).  This academic year, I began teaching an IT course at the Al Ain Men's College (AAMC) campus, too.  Before becoming part of the HCT family, I had also taught business and IT courses at a community college in the Republic of Palau and at several post-secondary institutions in my native country, the Philippines.

My experience with online learning includes creating and administering Blackboard Vista courses here at HCT, and I often use Respondus 4.0 to make quizzes. For two summers now, I have taught International Computer Driving License (ICDL) classes to high school students, and we used for practice the online exam simulations created by Litmus Learning.  (We had scratch cards that gave login and password information that are good for 20 hours of exam practice per card.)

In addition, this academic year our Computer and Information Science Division started implementing ebook solutions from both Pearson and Wiley.  I was fortunate to begin using Wiley Plus for the Information Systems in Organizations and Society course (CIS1003) that I am teaching at both AAWC and AAMC.  As for using online learning for my personal growth, I have taken NetG courses that were once available in our HCT portal.  I have also been visiting the free online tutorials of w3schools, so that I can brush up on my HTML and CSS knowledge.

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment