Thursday, September 29, 2011

An Introduction (Part 2 of 2)

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have no formal training in education.  So, in these studies, I hope to be exposed to theories, best practices and technological use pertaining to that subject matter.  For instance, I am glad that one of the course requirements is to maintain a blog.  I have been meaning to start one, but I have never gotten into it until now, since I need it for the PGCTHE! =)

I hope to bring into the group the perspective of one coming from a combination of business and IT backgrounds.  It would be interesting to interact with those teaching other subject matters, such as  Liberal Arts courses. 

I started using computers as a little boy in the early 1980s when my mother bought a Commodore 64 with an external tape recorder.  I was also first exposed to the Internet during my college years in the early 1990s.  I recall using a text-based browser in monochrome mainframe terminals, and the early incarnations of the Mosaic Web browser in IBM compatibles.  I used the gopher, telnet and ftp protocols, and I also subscribed to several mailing lists through Listserv and Majordomo....In other words, I expect to enjoy and easily get the hang of whatever technological tools we may use or learn about in this certificate program.

I have been exposed to collaborative learning when I was taking up my graduate studies.  There were instances that our professors were more of facilitators and/or advisors.  So, I look forward to both contributing to our collective knowledge, and learning from my team members and facilitators.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Oscar! Interesting career you've had. Looking forward to working with you in this course.
    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Oscar. Welcome to the course. I am looking forward to working with you in the months ahead and tapping into your vast and varied experience as we move through the activities.
    See you online.

    ReplyDelete