Monday, March 26, 2012

Module 2 (Week 01) - Introduction and Educational Technologies

I’ve been caught up in many things, so it’s only now during the spring break that I can finally concentrate on Module 2…


Introduction


Anyway, my official title says that I am a Business faculty member at Al Ain Women’s College (AAWC) campus of the Higher Colleges of Technology (HCT), but I work under the Computer and Information Science Department.  I’ve been teaching business and IT courses at the women’s campus for more than 6 years, and I also taught an IT course at the men’s campus for the first time last semester.

 

Classroom Hardware

 

Practically all classrooms in Al Ain Colleges (i.e., both the men’s and women’s campuses) are equipped with a teacher’s computer (either a laptop or desktop PC), smart boards, document cameras (a.k.a. visualizers) and video projectors that I have all used extensively.  The setup also allows us to easily plug in our laptops, so that we can use our own computers and easily access our files & programs. 

Before working for the HCT,  I had been accustomed to creating transparencies and using the low-tech overhead projector.  So, I found the document cameras a novelty and a welcome change.  Now, I could just directly place my notes or even a book under the document camera, and presto!  An image of the paper or book is projected on the smart board.  I have also used the camera to show images of various objects, such as computer hardware and cables.

As for the smart boards, they allow me to much more easily give software demonstrations and PowerPoint presentations, and this directly relates to Reason #2 ("depth of understanding").  For one, the smart board becomes like a large tablet and the students can follow my hand as I point and click.  And when giving PowerPoint presentations, I can simply tap on the smart board to advance the slides, so there's no need to click on the mouse or use a remote control.  In addition, I can use the smart board interface to write on the screen.

BlackBoard Vista and WileyPlus eBook


I have used BlackBoard Vista extensively for several subjects; WileyPlus, for a single computer course.  They have both exemplified/personified Reason #1 ("expansion of time and place"), Reason #7 ("individual pacing and sequence"), Reason #8 ("weight"), and Reason #10 ("lower cost").

When materials and assessments are online, students can do more things outside the classroom:  study at their own pace, submit work at their convenience, and take diagnostic tests at any time.   It also means that that there is less need for paper and better book inventory management, thereby reducing costs.

...

With so many education technology available, my main concern is being able to keep up with developments, especially when it comes to finding the time to evaluate them and to learn new things.

No comments:

Post a Comment