Thursday, January 31, 2013

Module 3 (Week 07) - Aligning goals with the course

All the courses in the new academic catalog have learning outcomes that are already defined, and I believe the curriculum developer employed verbs that can easily correspond to Bloom's Taxonomy.  For CIS 1003 (Information Systems in Organizations and Society), this is how I map the specified learning outcomes to Bloom's Taxonomy:

No. Learning Outcome Bloom's Taxonomy
1 Recognize the importance of information and how information technology and information systems help manage and share this crucial resource; remembering (cognitive); valuing (affective)
define an information system's components; and remembering (cognitive); receiving (affective)
explain how these components work together to achieve common business objectives. understanding (cognitive); responding (affective)
2 Describe the impact of information communications technology (ICT) on organizations and society; and remembering (cognitive); valuing (affective)
discuss the role of computer and mobile networks in the digital age understanding (cognitive); responding (affective)
3 Analyze how different types of information systems support decision-making and enable improvements in communication, quality, efficiency and effectiveness in different types of organizations analyzing (cognitive); organizing (affective)
4 Discuss current and future trends in information technology and information systems understanding (cognitive); valuing (affective)

In addition, the assessment strategy is also prescribed, so I am constrained with how I can assess the students:

Item Description %
Final Assessment - Written Examination The assessment is developed in accordance with the CSA specification approved by the DAT. 30%
Coursework - Quiz Quizzes (20%): Two quizzes through the semester
Timed Tasks/Activities (10%): On-going through the semester including WileyPlus tasks.
30%
Coursework - Simulation Performance Students are given a business scenario where they need to analyze client requirements and produce a solution using an appropriate application software. 30%
Coursework - Project Output Report (20%): A group research project focusing on emerging technologies.
Presentation (10%): Individual assessment related to the group research project.
20%

The final assessment has a common specification whereby the types of questions and corresponding cognitive levels are explicitly mentioned.  While there are no specifications for quizzes, I have the challenge of constructing questions so that they do not all fall into the Remember level.  I scheduled the final assessment on the second-to-the-last day of classes, so that I can return marked exams on the last day and give feedback.

There were no specific details for Timed Tasks/Activities, but I chose to have students answer questions from the textbook after my lectures and demonstrations.  For one, I was hoping it would encourage them to actually read the textbook and not just rely on the PowerPoint presentations.  Second, it was meant to help them remember what they should have learned, and to also prepare for their quizzes and exams.  I will be teaching the course again next semester, but I think I can try to be more creative with the tasks/activities.  I will try to look into using various educational software or games to help them remember theory (particularly definitions).  I might even try asking the students to construct their own essay-type, short-answer, and multiple-choice questions.

Our course team (which is made up of instructors from different campuses teaching the same subject) had two options: 1) make students analyze information systems in existing businesses; 2) have students think of a business situation where they can use Excel or Access to solve a problem.  I choose for my students to undertake an Excel project--I was targeting more of the Apply level for most of the students, but I was expecting the Create level for the top students.

The project output is research paper to be presented.  I was busy this semester, so I stuck with having students do PowerPoint presentations.  The next time I teach the course, I would consider allowing other means of presentation, but I will have to adjust the marking criteria.

No comments:

Post a Comment