Thursday, January 31, 2013

Module 3 (Week 13) - Trying New Teaching Strategies



Unknowingly, I have actually been using the deliberate method for my BMAC 200 (Financial Accounting) class, which I taught for the first time this semester.  To begin with, I was faced with the task of teaching accounting principles to IT students who do not have accounting knowledge, who have limited business background, and who are probably not so keen in learning accounting.  Moreover, I was faced with a busy schedule as I was teaching overtime (24 contact hours per week), and I also had a System Wide Assessment (HCT’s standardized tests for selected courses) to prepare my students for. 

Given that I had limited time to cover what was prescribed in the official course outline, I decided to concentrate first on doing problems and exercises in class.  Of course, I gave out several in-class work and assignments to make them practice their accounting skills.  Also, we did cover the theoretical part, but mostly in the context of while doing the problems and exercises.  There were even 2 chapters that I did not do lectures on. I was satisfied that my students had no problem with Understanding and Remembering, but I saw that they struggled somewhat with Applying when problems and exercises were dissimilar from what they had done previously.  I hope that that whatever we did in class would suffice for vertical transfer if they were to take additional accounting or finance courses.

I was also teaching 3 sections of ITEC 399 (ITEC 399), which was one of the courses identified for HCT’s System-Wide Assessments.  So that students would take my practice sessions more seriously, I decided to assign a grading percentage for the review exercises, albeit a very small one (5% of course work).  I have seen weaker students ask others on how to do several tasks, especially in preparation for exams.  And I do encourage group studies.  Anyway, I gave my first four marked reviews in-class, but for a change, I gave the last one (which was most comprehensive and more challenge) as a take-home assignment.  The marks for the last one was lower compared to the first four, but I did see students with similar answers.  I hope they tried figuring out the answer together instead of just copying the answer from one who has finished….One thing I should have tried is to ask students to create their own questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment